Are you wondering how to use Instagram filters or effects on your next Instagram post or story to show off your photo editing skills to your followers, or perhaps you’re simply looking to make some cool adjustments to a photo but don’t know how?
Or do you want to up your Instagram marketing efforts by spicing up your Instagram posts and stories to attract a wider audience while giving them enough encouragement to follow you?
Then you should definitely try out Instagram filters and effects to give the photos you wish to share a nice and perhaps pro retouch.
We will cover all there is to adding Instagram filters and effects to any image in this post and help you make your profile look better by showing you:
- How to search filters on Instagram
- How to use filters on Instagram
- How to use Instagram Effects
- How to add effects to Instagram Story
- How to use Instagram filters without posting
What Are Filters and How to Use Instagram Filters?
Filters are simple overlays that change your photos’ colors and tones. Instagram filters can give your post an edgy look or make any image look soft and bright. They’re also a proven method to get more followers on Instagram and increase your account’s engagement rate.
You can use filters when you post different kinds of media to your feed. You can use them when you want to publish a feed post or even when you add something to your Instagram Story.
The only downside they have is you cannot add them to your scheduled Instagram posts or stories. However, this is not that big of a deal since you can rely on easy-to-use photo editing software/app to make necessary adjustments to any content that requires scheduling.
How to Use Instagram Filters and Effects in 6 Simple Steps
Instagram has numerous unique features, and its filters and effects are one of them. You can make great posts by using really cool tools. Adding these filters to a post is pretty easy and can be done in the following steps:
- Tap the plus sign icon at the top of your profile or homepage.
- Click the post button.
- Choose the video or picture you want to upload.
- Tap next on the top-right button.
- Now you’ll see a sea of filters that you can choose to add to the post. You can even determine how strong or weak the filter should be. Also, if you don’t like the filters you can use, you can tap Edit in the bottom-right corner to make your own.
- Finally, tap ‘Next’ in the upper right corner to save your filtered post.
Your story can also have filters. Even though it is easier to add filters to your posts, you don’t have much control over them.
You start by making a Story by taking a new photo or video or uploading something from your phone’s camera roll.
Then, when you’re on the page where you can add stickers and text, you can swipe left or right to choose from a dozen different filters and wrap up your Instagram story design!
How to Use Instagram Filters Without Posting
There are three ways you can use Instagram filters without posting:
- The first way is to put your phone into Airplane mode. To do this, you would have to post on Instagram like you usually would. But instead of writing a caption and tapping the share button at the end, you put your phone in airplane mode.
Even though Instagram will try to post your photo, it won’t be able to because airplane mode is on. But the photo would be saved to the camera roll on your phone.
From there, you should get a message that the post did not work and isn’t uploaded, but that Instagram will try to automatically post it when it can (when you turn off your airplane mode and you’re online again). All you have to do to stop that from happening is cancel that upload and take your phone out of airplane mode.
- The second way is to share the photo as a story. To do this, open the photo on Instagram and tap the plus sign in the bottom left corner of the screen, then tap ‘story.’
- The third way I recommend is to follow all the steps mentioned above and then save it to the camera roll on your phone instead of posting the picture.
- Finally, you save the picture to your phone’s camera roll rather than posting it. To do this, open the photo in the Instagram app and tap the three dots in the bottom right corner of the screen, then select ‘save photo.’
How to Search Filters on Instagram
When you open Instagram, you can swipe right to turn on the camera. Then you should see some round icons at the bottom of the screen. These are located next to the record button.
These should see some circular icons with some designs inside them. These are all easy-to-use effects that you can add to your photos. Just tap on any one of them, and you’re ready to take an excellent photo.
Remember, you can only use one effect at a time, so you can’t use them in combination with filters or other effects.
How to Add Effects to Instagram Story
Effects are not the same as filters in a lot of ways. Filters might only let you change the colors and make a small change to your Instagram story, but effects take your post or story to a whole new level.
You can use animations and add different stickers. These are the same if you’ve ever used an effect on Tiktok.
All you have to do to spice up your Instagram tales with some camera effects are:
- Swipe right from anywhere in the feed or tap Story in the upper left corner.
- The Story tab is down below.
- Choose an effect by swiping left from the bottom of the screen. Swipe all the way to the left and press to view effects from third-party developers.
- Tap the screen to snap a photo, or hold down the screen to record a short clip. The closest person’s face will be altered to reflect the effect you select in either the forward- or rear-facing camera.
Even so, you can only use the Instagram effect when making a story, a Reels video, or when you’re live on Instagram.
How to Use Filters on Instagram: The TL;DR Version
To make a long story short, you can make your photos more attention-grabbing than those of your friends by applying various filters and effects. Simply follow the instructions above to use Instagram filters for your future posts and stories. Finding and applying IG filters and effects is pretty easy; using them will give your photos a cool vibe.